In this article we will present the best water hammer arrestors on the market, including whole house water hammer arrestor. These systems will help you avoid this unpleasant sound and protect your pipes from damage.
We use to take our plumbing systems for granted. We only think of those pipes when something doesn’t work quite right. But what will
There are lots of things that can go wrong with plumbing in your home. From a burst pipe to low water pressure, there is no single plumbing issue that can be ignored.
Plumbing systems ensure a comfortable and healthy life, and we expect them to do that without feeling their presence. So, when homeowners deal with water hammer, they start looking for a solution immediately.
Aside from being annoying to hear, water hammer suggests that something is wrong. If you ignore this phenomenon, sooner or later you will be dealing with catastrophic failure of your plumbing system.
IN A HURRY? HERE’S OUR TOP PICKS…
What is the best water hammer arrestor?
There are hundreds of water arrestors available on the market.
Many customers wonder whether they do help. Plumbing experts advise using a water arrestor because they are very effective on condition that they are:
- Properly sized
- Properly placed
- Properly installed
Using a water hammer arrestor, even a whole house water hammer arrestor, is a must. They are necessary due to the common use of quick closing valves, like those in washing machines and dishwashers.
In this article we are taking the guesswork out and inform you on who makes the best water hammer arrestor.
Best Water Hammer Arrestor – Top 5 List Compared
- Piston-type water hammer arrester
- 304 stainless steel arrestor body
- 3/4" female hose thread on branch
This is a piston-type water hammer arrestor. It has 304 stainless steel arrestor body, 3/4″ female hose thread on branch, and 3/4″ male hose thread on trunk.
- Effective at eliminating the water hammer phenomenon
- More durable than its previous, all copper version
- Suitable for all kinds of fixtures, from water heaters to washing machines
- No need to use Teflon tape as the water hammer arrestor is equipped with a preinstalled rubber gasket
- Very simple installation
- This water hammer arrestor doesn’t leak when installed properly
- Can be mounted both vertically and horizontally
- Can be purchased as original version, or in two-, three-, or four-item packs
- The product needs to be replaced every few years
- Using them with new front-loading washing machines seems to contribute to the premature failure of these water hammer arrestors
- This model is not a whole house water hammer arrestor
- Easy to install on washing machines and 3/4 inch male valves in the washing machine outlet...
- Reduce the unstable water pressure and noise, protect your washing machine.
- Brass body and stainless steel water hammer chamber. cUPC and NSF listed.
The sicoince water hammer arrestor is a device created specially for washing machines but also suitable for garden hoses. Its role is to reduce the unstable water pressure and noise, protecting your washing machine control system.
The device consists of a copper tube with piston and a brass tee. The maximum working pressure is 250 PSI, with a temperature range from 33F to 180F.
- Easy to connect and functions as required
- Is available in four different versions: 3/4″ NH thread copper tube-1 pack, 3/4″ NH thread copper tube-1 pack, 3/4″ NH thread copper tube-1 pack and 3/4″ NH thread stainless steel tube-2 pack.
- Some users complained about this water hammer arrestor cutting down on their water pressure to their sprinklers
- The hammering can come back at some point during use. However, problems with the product not working can be caused by not choosing the right size or by improper installation.
- The product is highly durable and easy to use
- Easy installation and easy handling
- Eliminates water pipe banging caused by quick closing valves.
The Oatey Quite Pipes Water Hammer Absorber is a copper construction device which installs easily to washing machine supply valve.
- Installation does not require cutting your drywall
- Can be installed horizontally, vertically, and in any position in between
- This product costs less than similar devices
- May not work seamlessly with appliances with high flow rates, such as irrigation systems
- The product is made in China, an aspect that some customers can be disappointed about
- Connection: 1/2" male NPT thread
- The hammer arrestor reduces the pressure on the plumbing system
- Shock prevention: Stops pipe banging noise common in the plumbing system.
The Hydro Master water hammer arrestor is used to reduce the pressure on plumbing systems. It can withstand a maximum working pressure of 250 PSI and has a maximum working temperature of 250F. It can be installed horizontally, vertically, and in any position in between.
- It helps prolong the life of domestic water lines
- Is easy to install
- It is protected due to being embedded behind the drywalls
- A customer complained about the device not stopping water hammer on a drip irrigation system
- Prevent water hammer noise and absorb shock and vibration，protect your plumbing system
- Connection: 3/4"GHT F x 3/4"GHT M
- Max working pressure: 250psi, temperature range 33 deg F to 180 deg F
The Solimeta water hammer arrestor prevents water hammer noise and absorbs shock and vibration. This helps to protect your plumbing system.
The device is made form stainless steel and lead-free brass and can be installed in any position.
The Solimeta water hammer arrestor is available in six different versions:
- 1/2″ MIP lead free brass body
- 1/2″ MIP stainless steel body
- 3/4″ GHT lead free brass body 1 pack
- 3/4″ GHT stainless steel body 1 pack
- 3/4″ GHT lead free brass body 2 pack
- 3/4″ GHT lead free brass body 2 pack
- Is effective at stopping water hammer noise
- Is easy to install
- Is available in multiple sizes
- Can be used both inside and outside
- May not succeed in completely eliminating the hardest water hammers, like those caused by some washing machines
- It may restrict the flow of water
FAQ: How does a water hammer arrestor work?
What is a water hammer?
Water hammer is a phenomenon occurring in piping systems where valves control the flow of fluids. Water hammer occurs when a pressure surge propagates through a piping system. What happens is that a fluid in motion is forced to change its direction or to stop suddenly.
How do you recognize water hammer? It’s simple – you will hear a marked banging or knocking sound inside the pipes immediately after valve shut off.
Why do you need to stop water hammer?
Water hammer is not just annoying, but also dangerous for your pipes. Its long-term effects include:
- Pump and flow drainage system damage
- Ruptured pipes
- Damaging exterior equipment and infrastructure
- Accidents endangering health and safety
- Downtime and maintenance expenses
How can you prevent water hammer?
The choice of check valves has a significant influence on the occurrence of this phenomenon. Some types of valves can cause water to slam into the valve mechanism, causing pressure propagating throughout the piping system. So, best ways to prevent water hammer include:
- Using silent or spring-assisted check valves. These have an internal spring that moves the valve into closed position before flow reversal, thus reducing water hammer.
- The use of air chambers that work as a shock absorber for the water when it changes direction suddenly.
- Flushing old systems
- Installing pressure reducers and regulators in the supply line
- Reducing operating pressure
Some homeowners erroneously think that water hammer occurs due to air being trapped inside their pipes.
The opposite is true. Water hammer occurs when there is not enough air in your plumbing system. Water cannot be compressed; all of the pressure is transmitted to pipes as a mechanical force when a valve is closed. Air, quite differently, can be compressed and its presence will prevent the loud banging noise.
How does a water hammer arrestor work?
Water arrestors are generally equipped with a spring and a waterproof air bladder. Its role is to absorb the force of moving water.
They can be used successfully when the system of a pump and the shutoff valve are in the same line.
Unlike air chambers, water hammer arrestors do not require recharging.
They are used everywhere from homes to industrial facilities to prevent the damaging of expensive instruments.
Deciding who makes the best water hammer arrestor is not easy. This item is relatively simple and inexpensive and its success depends on installing it correctly. Again, selecting the right arrestor size also plays a role in solving the water hammer issue.
Many homeowners are looking for a whole house water hammer arrestor. This type of appliance can work as long as it absorbs excess water pressure.
If you have a serious water hammer issue, you need to install an arrestor at each fixture above the valve. Independently reducing the shock on the line is the most effective fix.